Shaare Zedek Medical Center opened in 1902 to serve as the first Jewish hospital located in the newly developing western portion of Jerusalem. It was founded by a coalition of European Jews inspired to create a hospital that would serve the growing population in the city.
The original hospital, located on Jaffa Road, would serve Shaare Zedek until 1979, when the hospital moved to its current main campus in the Bayit Vegan neighborhood of the city. In 2012, the hospital added a downtown campus when it absorbed the facilities of Bikur Cholim Hospital, firmly establishing itself as one of Israel’s leading modern medical providers, with over 1,000 patient beds.
to all philatelic items issued on February 2022